Breaking the rules of tradition; Stephen Webster introduces our collaborative collection with Skydiamond, the world’s first carbon negative diamond. Using unique, patented technology, carbon is mined from the sky and fed into a lab, exhausting cleaner air back into the atmosphere – an innovative process that transmutes the air we pollute, into certified diamonds.
Keeping with the modernity of the Skydiamond process, the capsule collection includes four exclusive Stephen Webster cuts inspired by space and the sky; Stellar, Volt, Rocket and Meteoric, with each piece crafted in 18 carat Single Mine Origin Gold. The range has a nod to alternative bridal, offering contemporary designs for those looking for genuine change with a compelling story behind an important purchase.
Discover the process behind these revolutionary diamonds.
Skydiamond Process, courtesy of Skydiamond
- The Skydiamond mining facility first extracts carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. This is extracted as a gas, then liquefied and purified. Rainwater is then split into Oxygen and Hydrogen using Electrolysis. The Oxygen is released back into the air.
- Skydiamond then use the CO2 and the H2 to make Methane. This is fed into a Diamond Mill beginning the Chemical Vapour Deposition reactor process, a technique by which diamonds can be grown from a hydrocarbon gas mixture.
- Next, a thin slice of diamond seed is placed in a sealed chamber and heated. The chamber is then filled with a carbon rich gas along with other gases, which are ionized into plasma using microwaves.
- The pure carbon adheres to the diamond seed and slowly builds up into a crystal, atom-by-atom and layer by layer.
- The Skydiamonds are then grown in balls of plasma running at temperatures between 900-1200 C, powered by wind and solar energy from Ecotricity.
- The whole process happens on site at the Skydiamond Sky Mining facility in the Cotswolds.
The ‘environmental benefit’ for each piece from the SW x SD collection can be found within the products unique Stephen Webster ‘Backstage Passport’. Accessible by QR code, the ‘Backstage Passport’ offers traceability of the crafted materials, as well as environmental and social benefits that relate to the piece.
Skydiamond capsule collection exclusive cuts.
From left to right: Stellar, Meteoric, Rocket and Volt.
WHAT IS THE QUALITY OF SKYDIAMONDS?
Because of the purity of the ingredients and unique approach, Skydiamond creates ethical stones of the highest quality. Skydiamonds are available in a range of sizes, colour, and clarity. Within the SW x SD collaborative collection, our diamond colour ranges from D to J and clarity ranges from IF to SI1.
To mark Stephen Webster as the first designer to incorporate Skydiamonds within a collection, we wanted to break with all tradition and design four exclusive cuts to showcase these futuristic gems.
Defined as below:
View the SW x SD collection exclusively at our Mount Street London salon and online here.